Navigating the Aged Care Maze
Bundaberg has been selected as one of the locations for the national Aged Care Navigator Trials. The trials were announced as part of the Better Access to Aged Care initiatives in the 2018 Commonwealth budget.
The Aged Care Navigator Trial in Bundaberg aims to assist people in making informed decisions in relation to accessing timely and appropriate support and care as they age, to enable them to remain living safely and independently in their own homes and connected to their community. It will also provide an opportunity to input into improving access to aged care services, in Bundaberg and across Australia.
The focus of the trial is on people who are not currently receiving support services and people who may experience additional barriers to accessing services.
We are working in partnership with the local community to develop a community hub approach. This approach builds the community’s knowledge and understanding of aged care and supports volunteers to share this information with others.
To build the community hub we are seeking local people who are keen to learn basic information about aged care supports and share that information with others in their networks.
What is involved:
- Attend a navigator training session where you will be provided with an overview of the subsidised aged care supports available in Australia, how to access them, and information resources.
- Share that information with people in your networks either through the groups that you are part of, or groups that you bring together specifically for this purpose.
- Gather feedback from the people who attend your information session about the effectiveness of this approach.
What else are we doing:
- Inviting community groups to host a navigator at their group
- Popup information stalls
- Partnering with other organisations especially for people who may experience additional barriers accessing aged care supports.
Contact Paul Gabbert to explore ideas you might have or how you might become involved. Telephone 3316 2907 or email email@example.com
Download the project flyer here.
The trial will run from March 2019 – June 2020
The Aged Care Navigators Trial is delivered by COTA Queensland as part of a consortium led by COTA Australia and funded by the Australian Government.
Find out more about the Aged Care Navigators, including factsheets and locations here www.AgedCareNavigators.org.au