Five surprising facts about volunteering [source Volunteering Australia]
Did you know that:
- Volunteers contribute $200 billion to the Australian economy annually;
- Studies have shown that volunteering produces health benefits such as happiness, health and longevity;
- The number of volunteers in Australia has doubled from 3.2 million in 1995 to over 6 million in 2010; but
- The average number of hours contributed by each volunteer per year has decreased from 74 hours in 1995 to 56 hours in 2010; and
- Of the 600,000 not-for-profit organisations in Australia only 60,000 have paid staff?
COTA Queensland recognises the significant contribution of its many volunteers; without them we would not be able to respond to the diverse needs of Queensland’s ageing population.
Our volunteer program enables you to play a role in a range of areas including:
- Peer Education
- Assisting with research
- Use your professional expertise to guide our policy development
- Community Correspondent – be our ear on the ground in your community
- Representation at events and expos
- Office tasks
If you’re interested in getting involved or would like information about volunteering with COTA Queensland, please contact us on 1300 738 348 (Toll free within Queensland) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.