About this opportunity
Council on the Ageing (COTA) Queensland is a state-wide not for profit organisation that aims to advance the rights, needs, and futures of people as we age. Our programs include education, information, policy advice, and support for organisations providing services to older people. We work in collaboration with older people in Queensland to create positive social change.
Celebrating a Queensland for all ages, Seniors Week 19-27 August 2017, provides the opportunity for older Queenslanders to explore programs and services, events and activities, connect with people of all ages and backgrounds, to celebrate the many contributions older people make in their communities.
COTA Queensland coordinates Queensland Seniors Week on behalf of the Queensland Government and receives funding to subsidise Seniors Week events and activities, support event organisers throughout the state with marketing and promotion of events in the online event calendar, and to increase the profile of the events through targeted media and communications.
Seniors Week aims to:
- improve community attitudes toward older people and ageing
- facilitate community participation including those from Indigenous and culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds
- enhance community connection and intergenerational relationships.
Funded by the Queensland Government, the program provides $100,000 to subsidise events and activities held during Queensland Seniors Week.
We are seeking a volunteer to assist with tracking and promotion of events, media coverage, and liaison with event organisers. This is an ideal opportunity to further develop your communication and marketing skills while contributing to our work to promote the rights and futures of older Queenslanders.
This is a great opportunity for someone who is looking for a time-limited volunteer role within a supportive and friendly environment. You will work with a diverse range of people and be an integral part of our team.
- Tracking funded Seniors Week events, liaising with organisers of funded events and maintaining a database
- Working with the Program Coordinator to promote Seniors Week and associated events through the website, social media, and traditional media sources including print and radio
- Maintaining a database of contacts
- Working with the Program Coordinator to increase media partnerships and statewide coverage of key messaging and events.
- Event management experience
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent organization skills and ability to multi task.
- Computer Skills – e.g. MS Office (Word, Outlook. Publisher), Access, CMS programs, Design software, Adobe creative suite, social media
- A desire to work with and meet others from diverse backgrounds.
Experience working with the media and writing for the media is also desirable.
- Time commitment 2 days per week until October 27, 2017
- Willingness to undertake National Police Certificate.
- The position is voluntary (unpaid).
- Applicants must be willing to undergo a trial period of one month.
If you are interested in applying for this role, please email your CV to Andrea Petriwskyj firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 1300 738 348.